Sunday, March 17, 2013

Chicken Pad Thai with Spaghetti Squash




Finally I got the sauce for the Pad Thai correct!  
Even better, I used spaghetti squash instead of pasta as a way to 
cut back on carbs AND my husband LOVED IT!!!

I made a few changes to the recipe I found here: 

Ingredients:
  • 1 medium-large spaghetti squash
  • 1 c. bok choy, diced
  • 1 c. carrots, thinly sliced
  • 2-3 cooked chicken breasts, chopped into fairly large pieces
  • 3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1/4 c. sweet onion, chopped
  • 1-2 jalapenos, finely chopped
  • small bunch of green onion (separate the white/light green part from the darker green part.  Chop all)
  • 1/2-1 c. cilantro, chopped
  • 1 lime
  • 1/4 c. fish sauce
  • 2-3 Tbsp. peanut butter (I used chunky and it was fine)
  • 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
  • 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
  • 2 tsp. chili garlic sauce (same brand as the infamous sreracha) - use more if you want to increase the heat level!  I would say 2 tsp. is about a level 1.

Directions:
  1. Warm up the spaghetti squash in the microwave for about 1 minute.  More for larger squashes.  This will warm it up enough so you can cut it in half lengthwise.  I cut a slight diagonal from the core, rather then cutting through the core.
  2. After cutting the squash in half, scoop out the seeds as best as possible.
  3. Place two halves of the squash with the inside facing upward on a pan.  Lightly salt and pepper the inside of the squash.
  4. Cook at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes.
  5. Prepare your chicken by cooking it in a pan with sweet onion and garlic (to flavor the chicken), salt and pepper, and any other spice of your choosing.
  6. Once cooked, drain the juices and add the white/light green part of the green onion, diced jalapenos, and carrots to the chicken.  Cover to allow the veggies to steam.  
  7. After a couple of minutes, add the bok choy.  Cover and allow to steam.  Stir occasionally.
  8. While the chicken and veggies are cooking, make the sauce.
  9. In a saucepan, combine the juice of 1 lime, fish sauce, PB, rice vinegar, soy sauce, and chili garlic sauce.
  10. Heat until smooth.  The sauce will taste salty/fishy, but once spread around the whole dish it won't be as salty!
  11. When the spaghetti squash is finished (put a fork in it and it should feel like a potato does when it is done), remove it from the oven.  Then use a fork to pull the squash apart lengthwise into a large serving bowl.
  12. Add the chopped cilantro and dark green part of the green onions to the chicken and veggies and allow to cook uncovered for a couple of minutes (long enough to add the flavor, but not become soggy!)
  13. Add your chicken and veggies to the spaghetti squash and mix well.
  14. Then, add your sauce to the squash, chicken, and veggies and stir.
  15. If wanted, add some chopped peanuts to the Pad Thai (since I used chunky PB, I didn't)
  16. Serve and enjoy!
Approx. Total Calories: 246 (assuming this serves about 8 people)



No comments:

Post a Comment