Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Chicken Chili



This chili is so delicious!  I've made it several times and it always gets eaten up quickly!  I looked at several recipes online and in cookbooks, then combined several elements of all of them.

Ingredients:
  • 3-4 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts (I usually thaw them if necessary, cut into strips and cook them in a pan, then use two forks to "shred" them.  I'm sure you could cook it all in the crockpot, but I'm usually to eager to eat!)
  • 1-15 oz. can of Great Northern Beans
  • 1-15 oz. can of Black Beans
  • 2 medium cans of diced green chiles
  • 1-15 oz. can of dark red kidney beans
  • 1-15 oz. can of diced tomatoes in tomato juice
  • 1 Lime
  • 2 Bell Peppers of your choosing (I a combination of yellow, orange, and red); chopped
  • 1-1 1/2 cups of corn (I use frozen corn)
  • 1 tsp. Instant Bouillon Powder - Chicken Flavor (follow directions on container for how much water to use - usually 8 oz.)
  • 4-5 tsp. of ground coriander seed
  • 1 tsp. of chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp. of red pepper flakes
  • 2 tsp. of cumin
  • 1 tsp. dried oregano
  • About 1/4 of a sweet onion, diced
  • 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 Tbsp. EVOO
  • Fresh Cilantro, chopped and leave some for garnish
  • Plain Greek Yogurt for topping
  • Salt and Pepper to taste

Directions:
  1. Add EVOO to a pan and heat to medium heat.  Add onions, garlic, and salt, allowing to sweat.
  2. Add bell peppers and cook until slightly softened
  3. Add chicken and season with a fraction of the spices listed in the ingredients, salt, and pepper.  If wanted, add some chopped fresh cilantro to the chicken.
  4. While chicken is cooking, add the rest of your ingredients to a crockpot.  Don't drain the beans.
  5. Once the chicken is cooked, shred if necessary, then add chicken mixture to the crockpot.
  6. Add chopped fresh cilantro to chili and season with love.
  7. Let all ingredients cook together for at least 30 minutes.  The longer, the better.  But, I usually can't wait :o)
  8. Top with a dollop of plain Greek yogurt and a fresh cilantro leaf!
  9. Enjoy!
Yields: Approx 8 servings (2 c. each)  Calories per Serving: Approx. 303

No comments:

Post a Comment