Saturday, January 12, 2013

Pumpkin Soup


Another Better Homes & Gardens Cookbook recipe!  I made it a lot during Autumn!

Ingredients:
  • 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
  • 3/4 c. coarsely chopped green sweet bell pepper (1 large)
  • 1/2 c. chopped sweet onion (1 medium)
  • [2-3 cloves chopped garlic (I didn't call for it, but I added it)]
  • 1 Tbsp. cooking oil
  • 1 15-ounce can pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
  • 1 14-ounce can unsweetened light coconut milk
  • 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
  • 2 Tbsp. packed brown sugar
  • 1 medium fresh jalapeno chile pepper, seeded and finely chopped (I added 3 since my husband LOVES it spicy)
  • 3/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
  • 2 Tbsp. snipped fresh cilantro or parsley

Directions:
  1. In a large saucepan, cook carrots, sweet pepper, onion, and garlic in hot oil over medium heat for about 5 minutes or until tender.
  2. Remove from heat.
  3. In bowl, combine pumpkin, coconut mild, and broth.  Stir in brown sugar, jalapeno pepper, salt, and ginger.
  4. Stir pumpkin mixture into vegetable mixture.
  5. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 10 minutes (or until heated through).  Stir frequently.
  6. Stir in cilantro before serving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment